I honestly did not know websites like Antiwar.com and The American Conservative even existed until this assignment. What surprised me is that I spend way too much time online. I get most of my news from TikTok, Twitter and sometimes real news stations on television.
After looking through both sites, I noticed they talk about
war very differently than what I usually see. A lot of the content on my feed
focuses on the latest update or what might happen next. The
articles on these websites spent more time asking whether military action is
helping anything at all. Even when I did not agree with everything, I found it
interesting because it was a point of view I do not normally come across.
The assignment also made me realize how much social media
shapes what I see. I always knew algorithms played a role, but I never really
thought about how many viewpoints I might be missing. If I mostly get my
information from certain sources then I am mostly seeing whatever those
platforms decide is popular, engaging, or likely to keep me scrolling. That
does not mean the information is wrong, but it does mean I am only seeing a
small piece of the bigger picture.
What I found most interesting is that these websites clearly
have dedicated writers and readers, yet they are not places most people my age
talk about. When friends discuss politics or world events, nobody says they
read Antiwar.com that morning. Most people reference something they saw in a
video, a tweet, or a post. That made me wonder whether good ideas can get
overlooked simply because they are not being delivered in a way that younger
audiences consume information.
This assignment pushed me outside of my normal habits. I am not saying these websites changed my mind on every issue, but they did make me stop and think. More importantly, they reminded me that getting information from only one or two places can give you a very limited view of what is really out there. Sometimes the most interesting thing is not whether you agree with a source, but the fact that you did not even know it existed before.
No comments:
Post a Comment